Wednesday, May 12, 2010

WHY?

So… what’s the big idea? What’s the problem? Can’t I ask why when I want to? I’ve been doing it all my life!

Anyone who has been around children, even for a short period of time, will have to answer the question, “Why?”

Last night our Bible study watched a video from James McDonald called simply, “Why?” He started with a true story about a man whose great desire was to be a “full time” missionary and worked hard to get ready to serve and raise his support. He purchased his ticket, said good-bye to his parents and got on the plane to fly to his assignment. The plane crashed within hours of its departure and he was killed. The parents received a letter from their son, which he had written just moments before he got on the plane. Just a note scribbled on a magazine page he had torn out, that said something to the effect, I love what I’m doing, I love you. In the middle of the magazine page was a bold print of one word… “Why?”

The discussion after the video was about the “Why” questions in our lives. Is it proper to ask God “Why?” Or, “God, why me?” Or, “God, do you really know what You’re doing?” Or the, “What have I done to deserve this?” Of course we think about all the bad things that happen to us. “Why do I have cancer? Why did my child rebel? Why did my business fail? Why did I lose my job? Why did my spouse walk out? But God, aren’t You supposed to protect me? They said, If I trust in Jesus, everything would be fine!

These types of questions and statements are designed to limit God. He can only do things that make sense to us. But, but, but…, I read this scripture that said, He would take all my diseases, and heal all my sickness. And He said, My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Then, why do I feel all this heaviness, sadness and sorrow?

It’s because you are thinking like a normal human being and you are looking for the easy way out. You have been taught, wrongly, to read the Bible for what you can get. You have never been taught to read the Bible for what it says, fully and completely in its context for the truth that God has shown over and over. Why did the Israelites go through so many hard times? Because they did not listen to what god was telling them. They did the “cafeteria” method of religion; I can go down the line and choose whatever I want.

I think we need to ask the question in a different manner. Why can’t God be God? After all, didn’t He create everything? Maybe some will even have a problem with that statement, but then that would make you God… I don’t think so…. Ask Job. Even though he was upright in the sight of the Lord, he was still a sinner, one of the created beings.

I digress…. God has to be God and He has to have a “master plan”, which He says He has. Some familiar scriptures, Ps 139, I formed you in your mothers womb. Jeremiah 1, I knew you before you were born. Jeremiah 29, I know the plans I have for you. These verses were all written in times of sorrow and doubting and confusion for the writer. They were all asking the question, “Why?” Our “hero’s” of the faith all ask the question. All of our hero’s got the same answer that we get. “Do you love Me? Do you trust Me?

Jesus asked Peter, “Do you love me?” Some of you know his answer, “Lord… I like you a lot”. Jesus asked a second time, “Peter, do you love Me”? Peter’s answer was, “Lord I really have great affection for You”. The third time, Jesus asked, “Peter do you love Me”? Peter could only reply, “Lord, You know all things”. We know that Jesus was using the word agape signifying an “all out, unconditional love for Him”. Peter’s best response was, “Lord, You know all things”. Because He does. That’s what we rest in. We don’t rest in what we can figure out or scheme around, but we rest in Him.

The Names of God and of Jesus are an essential study or just getting the poster that has the names on it is good to read from time to time. Just a few, Alpha and Omega, He is the first and the last, the One Who was and is and is to come. I am the vine and you are the branches, if you abide in Me, you will bear much fruit. Jehovah-Jirah, my provider.

My basic “why” question is, “God, why did you choose me”? Jesus says, No one comes to the Me unless he is drawn by the Father. He also says, You did not choose Me, but I chose you. So, What in Your loving providence, happened, that You chose me?

I love the old adage, “When everything else fails, read the directions”. Do you read enough of the Bible, which means all of it Genesis to Revelation, to know the God Who wrote it? Or are you still using it for the flowery fluff just to make you fell good? Do you know that hard times will come? Do you know the God who will get you through those hard times? Has he been faithful in the past? Is that not an indication that He will be faithful in the present and in the future?

I hope I have given you some things to think about. I hope I have given you someone to think about.

Following the Shepherd,
Ron
reskewsquad.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment